Prayer Tower was organized in 1932 by God's humble servants, Bishop Claiborne (Dad) Jones and Mother Miriam McGregor Jones as Grace Chapel Church of God in Christ. In 1946, during a trip to California, Mother Jones received the vision to come back to New Orleans and build the Prayer Tower. This marked the name change from Grace Chapel to Prayer Tower Church of God in Christ. The saints of PT bought land and built a church facility located at 7734 Olive Street in New Orleans.
In 1968, the saints purchased and built a Temple located 8708 Willow Street for the use of Jurisdiction, District and Community functions. Honoring the founder, the Temple was named Claiborne Jones Temple. Prayer Tower church facilities were dedicated to the memory of Bishop Jones and was referred to as Claiborne Jones Temple. In the mid 80's, the saints decided to relocate the congregation to the Willow Street Temple and renamed the facility to Prayer Tower Church of God in Christ. This facility is the largest Temple of Worship for COGIC's in the New Orleans area with a seating capacity of more than 500.
During Prayer Tower's 80 + years of service, there have only been four (4) pastors:
Founder Pastor - Bishop Claiborne Jones (1932-1978)
Bishop Richard "Mr.Clean" White (1978)
Bishop Lindell B. Brown (1978-2010)
Pastor Jermaine R. Hampton, Sr. (2011-Present)
Prayer Tower is the Headquarters Church for the GreaterNew Orleans Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction of Louisiana, Church of God in Christ. Prayer Tower's Former Pastor, the late Bishop Lindell B. Brown was Jurisdictional Prelate and Founder.
Prayer Tower is also an active member of the Church of God in Christ, International headquartered in Memphis, TN where His Eminence, The Most Reverend Charles Edward Blake, Senior is Presiding Bishop and Chief Apostle.